The Microbiology Research Laboratory at the Dugoni School of Dentistry building in San Francisco has excellent facilities, including BSL-2 and BSL-2+ laboratories, a Leica confocal microscope, a Guava flow cytometer, a Molecular Devices microplate reader, a Coulter particle size analyzer, a Waters HPLC, and a Beckman LS-50 fluorometer.
Ongoing projects in the Laboratory include
- Antibiotic targeting to Porphyromonas gingivalis
- Liposomal photodynamic therapy of oral, pharyngeal and cervical cancer in vitro Delivery of small inhibitory RNA (siRNA) to oral cancer cells
- Suicide gene therapy of oral and pharyngeal cancer in vitro
- The effect of broadly neutralizing anti-HIV-Env antibodies on HIV-Env-induced cell-cell fusion
- Antifungal and photodynamic therapy of Candida biofilms developed on denture acrylic
- Inhibition of oral cancer cell proliferation by C6-ceramide